The 12th annual Charlie George Invitational (“CGI”) charity golf tournament will be held on August 12th, 2023 at Nevel Meade Golf Course in Louisville, Kentucky. What started as a simple game of golf in 2011 has transformed into a unique philanthropic event and one-of-a-kind golf scramble to raise money for local charities and scholarships.
In 2015, the CGI partnered with the Community Foundation of Louisville to create the CGI Charitable Giving Fund in order to formalize the CGI’s fundraising efforts and encourage charitable giving throughout the Kentuckiana area. The Fund is supported by two events, typically held the 2nd weekend in August: a philanthropy event at The Raven Irish Pub in St. Matthews and the annual golf scramble.
In 2022, over 200 people participated in the scramble for the 6th straight year.
Since 2015, the CGI has raised over $197,000. Over its history, the CGI has donated to:
- The Ryann Tewell Scholarship Fund through Sacred Heart Academy in honor of Ryan Tewell and in support of the Tewell family.
- The Steven Vanover Memorial Research and Scholarship Fund in honor of Steve Vanover and in support of the Vanover family.
- The Samburu Project in Kenya in honor of Graham Keeley and in support of the Keeley family.
- The Morton Center in honor of Wil Grubbs and in support of the Grubbs family.
In previous years, the CGI has additionally supported causes near and dear to our extended family of participants:
- The Steven Vanover Foundation through the University of Louisville JB Speed School of Engineering, St. Xavier High School, Norton Healthcare, and Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center in honor of Steven Vanover.
- Cross Cultural Solutions in honor of Graham Keeley.
- ALK Positive, Inc. and Cancer Research for the Elizabeth Moir Memorial.
- Western Kentucky Tornado Relief.
- To a GoFundMe account to assist Pete Notcha in his fight against cancer.
For more information about the charitable causes, the CGI or the fundraising event, please visit the CGI Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/charliegeorgeinvitational/.